[Greenbuilding] 2000 miles on a scooter to get to the green building conference

Tim Vireo Keating t.keating at rainforestrelief.org
Fri Apr 29 22:02:46 CDT 2011

2000 miles in 11 - 12 days on a bicycle???

If you can do more than 60 miles/day on a bicycle, power to you. I
can tell you that getting up to that distance in one day takes either
some training, or a couple of days of recovery. Thirty miles/day is a
good pace for long trips. That would put one at about 65 days, with
no breaks. And, of course, no down days for repairs.

tim keating

At 9:58 PM -0400 4/29/11, RT wrote:
>On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 20:23:48 -0400, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Even scooters aren't what they used to be. I thought 50cc was the scooter
>>class. What is your anticipated fuel consumption for the trip?
>>On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 2:47 PM, RE-USE Consulting
>><go2nacho at comcast.net>wrote:
>>
>>>... 2000 miles... on a 250cc scooter!
>
>Back when I was a 15 yr-old keed, I had a 250cc Yamaha (yes, I drove
>it without a license) and it was definitely in the motorCYCLE class.
>
>It'd let out a loud wah-o-o-oOOOWWWRRR! as it screamed up to speeds
>that were fast enough to make even invulnerable-minded teenaged boys
>hang on for dear life.
>
>My older brothers had a Harley-Davidson "Topper" and a Piatti
>scooters before they moved "up" to motorcycles (BSA "Lightning" and
>a Kawasaki something-or-other) and even though they were well over
>50cc (Topper @ 165 cc
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Topper and the Piatti @
>125cc  http://www.piattiscooter.com/history.htm ) they were more
>like a modern-day electric-assist bicycle than they were the 250cc
>Yamaha.
>
>... point being that going by engine size might not tell one much.
>
>My guess is that a 165 cc 1960's era scooter compared to a 165cc
>2011 motorbike, would be like the difference between a 1960's era
>250 cu inch 6-cylinder Chevy and a 2011-era 4 litre V-8 BMW ... so a
>2011 250 cc probably wouldn't be a "scooter" ?
>
>But I can definitely say that 2000 miles should be do-able in about
>11-12 days on a bicycle.
>

>--
>=== * ===
>Rob Tom
>Kanata, Ontario, Canada
>< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a >
>manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply"

"The Earth and myself are of one mind. The measure of the land and the
measure of our bodies are the same..."
     	                               - Hinmaton Yalatkit, Nez Perce chief

R   A   I   N   F   O   R   E   S   T        R   E   L   I   E   F

Sparing  the  World's  Rainforests  from  Consumption

Rainforest Relief works to protect the world's remaining tropical
and temperate rainforests by reducing the demand for the products
and materials of rainforest destruction such as timber and paper,
industrial agricultural products such as bananas, beef, coffee,
chocolate and cut flowers, and mining products
such as oil, gold and aluminum.

New York, NY: (917) 543-4064
Portland, OR: (503) 236-3031
http://www.rainforestrelief.org
info at rainforestrelief.org
Church Street Station * PO Box 298 * NY, NY 10008-0298