[Greenbuilding] 2000 miles on a scooter to get to the green building conference

RE-USE Consulting go2nacho at comcast.net
Sat Apr 30 12:46:36 CDT 2011

I am disappointed to find that the scooter averages only about 60-65 mpg, but on the open road and using some bicycling techniques I know I will try to get that up to 70mpg and I will track that on ( http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Re-Use-Consulting/168260119870367 )

I have to get back to packing and planning, but know this:

 I had to make a trade-off in mpg to provide more help to my clients and spend more time with them.  Think of it this way, they say that the materials in a 2000 sq ft home have the embodied energy equal to 1000's of gallons of gas (see http://www.deconstructioninstitute.com/calc4.php ).  If I help these groups get started and 5 of them go on to deconstruct 100 buildings a year, even after accounting for the materials that are not saved, the parts of the 500 buildings diverted could equal over 2,000,000 gallons of gas.  Then and only then would I sleep soundly knowing that I had made up for the 27-30 gallons of gas the scooter used.

Building deconstruction rules....

Dave Bennink
RE-USE Consulting
dave at decon.us