[Greenbuilding] 3200 kms (2000 miles) on a scooter to get to the green building conference

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Sat Apr 30 13:55:34 CDT 2011

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 23:02:46 -0400, Tim Vireo Keating
<t.keating at rainforestrelief.org> wrote:

> 2000 miles in 11 - 12 days on a bicycle???

> At 9:58 PM -0400 4/29/11, RT wrote:

>> But I can definitely say that 2000 miles should be do-able in about
>> 11-12 days on a bicycle.

and

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 10:18 AM, JOHN SALMEN <terrain at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I have a 660cc 3 cylinder truck that gets 50mpg.

Murricans are still using "miles" and not "kilometres" like the rest of
the planet.
D'oh! My bad.

2000 miles  = 3200 kilometres

So figuring on about 180 kms per day (assuming the bike is loaded-up with
grub,camping gear etc), the trip would take about 17-18 days without
working too hard.

Which brings the "50 mpg" figure that BCJohn mentioned, to mind.

Back when we used "gallons" here in Canada, our Canadian gallon was/is
bigger than the Murrican gallon -- 1 Canadian gallon = 4.4546 litres
whereas the US gallon is only 3.7854 litres -- so 50 mpg in Canadian
gallons would be a little less than 42 mpg in US gallons -- and 50 mpg in
US gallons would be 60 mpg in Canadian gallons.

Of course, all this US-CDN gallon/mpg nonsense could be avoided if
Murricans simply started using  "litres per 100 kilometres" for fuel
consumption.

ie I see that a 2011 Ford Fiesta 1.6 litre non-hybrid gasoline engine is
rated at 4.9 litres/100 km (highway) which would be 48 mpg (US) or almost
58 mpg (CDN).

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom