[Greenbuilding] Upgrading a 1959 1800 sf building in Montreal

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 30 15:53:10 CDT 2011

Hi Stewart,

Assuming your current oil-fired boiler is 60 per cent efficient, this
suggests a space heating (and DHW?) demand of about 32,000 kWh per
annum.  At $0.93 per cubic meter, the operating costs of a natural gas
boiler with a 98% AFUE are approximately $3,000.00 per year.  Assuming
all energy is priced at Hydro-Quebec's more costly second tier
($0.0751/kWh), an electric boiler can provide this same service for
$2,400.00.  Over the long term, I'm inclined to believe the gap between
natural gas and electricity will continue to grow; if nothing else,
electricity prices in Quebec have proven to be the far more stable of
the two.  In addition, the installed cost of an electric boiler is
likely to be several thousands of dollars below that of an ultra high
efficiency condensing boiler, and the money you save going with this
less costly option can be used to further improve your building's
thermal envelope.

With respect to their environmental impacts, large scale hydro-electric
projects extract an extraordinary high toll.  That said, natural gas
fracking is an environmental nightmare in its own right.  I can't tell
you which is the better choice in this regard.

For further reading, see:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2011/04/27/nb-fracking-study-0427.html

Cheers,
Paul