[Greenbuilding] Another Day. Another Challenge....Dishwashers this time!

Matt Dirksen dirksengreen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 06:39:02 CDT 2011

I wholeheartedly agree, Ruben.

We have had a  "drawer style" dw for a couple of years and it has been terrible. We only use it when we have lots of people over. Even then, I have to rinse everything first & hope it actually cleans, then I always pull it open to air dry because it takes much less time (and since it's regular dry cycle never adequately dries.) Perhaps if we had a dw which actually did its job well, I would feel different about it (I still regret not getting the Bosch.)

I really think those experiments out there which "proove" that dishwashers are more efficient than handwashing are biased. Perhaps I may use a couple more gallons of water here and there, but nothing compares to air drying dishes on a rack. (not to mention the energy required to manufacture and dispose of the thing.)

I also never understood how dishwashers are Energy Star rated and driers are not. As far as convienance appliances, we find the drier much more necessary than the dishwasher. We used to line dry, but because of pollen and deer ticks, we'd end up throwing our "line dried" clothing in the drier afterward anyway. The kids slam thru a ton more clothes than they do dishes. Once we gave them their "own" dishes (cups & bowels with names on them) we have a lot less dish washing to do.

Oh well, my apologies for the tangent.

Matt