[Greenbuilding] Crushing Clay

natural building naturalbuilding at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 3 18:41:57 CDT 2011

Rob, while you are correct that there is no chemical change occurring when using Clay as a binder, the issue of shrinkage and moisture control is HUGE. Every bit as important as with Concrete / Cement. Possibly more so.

I have been researching and testing unstabilised rammed earth samples for the last year. I've produced close to 90 samples, experimenting with different ratios of clay, aggregate and water and what I can say with total certainty is that the water content is extremely critical and optimum proctor occurs in a VERY narrow margin of moisture content. By that I mean quantifiable changes in strength can be seen (and documented) with changes of a tenth of one percent by weight of the sample.

Furthermore, I have experimented with mixing time that range from 10 minutes up to 40 minutes. Currently I have found that the optimum with the mixer I am using is about 20 - 25. That being said, I am using a conventional concrete drum mixer which I acknowledge is not the ideal.

You are right to suggest that a mixer which 'kneads' (such as the vertical or horizontal shaft stucco mixers) might produce better results but I can guarantee that they would not handle a ball of clay with only 30 - 35% clay much better!

Finally, your suggestion about hydrating and then leaving the clay to dry to the appropriate moisture ratio would not only return us to the same point of unworkable consistency, but be rather impractical if you are trying to make any progress on a construction site.

A herd of cows might work, but I don't have one...

Regards,
Steve Satow

www.naturalbuildingsite.net
naturalbuilding at shaw.ca