[Greenbuilding] [SB-r-us] Re:Crushing Clay

Bill bill at caneloproject.com
Thu Aug 4 09:51:47 CDT 2011

First of all I plead sanity to Rob Tom's suggestion that I've used a hammer mill to crush clay.
I think moving to a more ideal place to live that supported other methods would be easier and preferable.
As for how to deal with such a creature, I've found that the easiest way, at least for us, was to soak the clay in water and let it break down.
Some do this easier than others and yes, there are some that really resist dissolving.

But let's start with those that do.  Couple of things we've done include building a a rectangular pit from straw bales on pallets, lining it with a canvas or porous tarp and putting the clay and water into this container.  Once soft, the clay can be mixed more thoroughly with the water, ideally completely and then what will happen is that the heavier aggregates will fall to the bottom and the clay layer will be on top and easy to separate.  It's a little time consuming, but not out of the question if the clay will dissolve.

If the hardened pieces of clay resist the method above one typically has to resort to some sort of mechanical crushing whether manually or by some sort of device.  The best thing I've seen that made sense to me and is the route I would go if I had enough use for, is a crusher that I saw in Denmark a couple of years ago.  It was made by a guy from Holland who produces vertical shaft mixers, various types of machines for compressed soil blocks and a machine that resembles a vertical shaft mixer and does a beautiful job of reducing hardened clay chunks to a powder.  It was relatively small, portable and I think the cost of buying and getting one here could be justified depending upon the quality of work one did with clay.

We've also encountered different situations such as when we were in Nova Scotia, we were delivered clay that was free of aggregates of any sort and that came in dense blocks, still moist, not unlike what would purchase from a ceramic supplier for making pottery.  There what worked best and gets into the the techniques Rob Tom described, was to peel off slivers with a shovel, throw them into a mortar mixer and add a small amount of sand with water to get the clay dissolved.

In short, there's a lot of variation when it comes to clay, the forms it comes in and how to get it mixed to the right consistency for the work being done.  My solution for places as in the above, short of moving west and south, find a brick factory and purchase their crushed and dry clay if possible.  Just did that in Denver and will do it next year in Minnesota.

Bill