[Greenbuilding] PV Tracking

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Wed Aug 3 20:00:49 CDT 2011

I just think nobody is taking the geography in to account.

There are plenty of PV installations around here, but I have never seen or
heard of a tracking one. This is probably because there is no point in them.
The situation could  be quite different in the more frigid parts of the
world for two reasons.

1. Even in what is laughably called the banana belt of Canada, the
insolation is not that great, and the skies are not so clear, so you would
need to chase every watt you can find.

2. In the summer, the days are longer. Hence the practical window of
opportunity may be as much as an hour wider, but the hourly march of the sun
is the same.

A tracking system helps in both cases, and this heathen would imagine the
more polar you get the more sense a tracker will make.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW