[Greenbuilding] PV Tracking

Haudy Kazemi kaze0010 at umn.edu
Thu Aug 4 06:05:21 CDT 2011

I think this may be playing a role.  When most people use the power
output calculators/estimators, they look at the annual production
figures not the daily figures.  A tracker in a high latitude may make
larger difference in the summer than in the winter because the arc of
the sun is longer, starting in the northeast and ending in the
northwest.  A fixed array in those conditions will self-shade in the
early and late parts of the day.  This may the root of the daily
difference between the reported performance difference between the
tracked and non-tracked array.

Roughly speaking, with guesstimate example numbers (actual values could
probably be obtained by digging into an appropriate calculator):
During summer, tracked array may outproduce the non-tracked array by the
~40% reported in this discussion thread.
During spring/fall, tracked array may outproduce non-tracked array by 20%.
During winter, with a short arc, tracked array may outproduce
non-tracked array by 5%.
On an annual basis the tracked array may only exceed the non-tracked
array by ~20%, even it does better than that in the summer.

Perhaps someone can check this in a calculator?