[Greenbuilding] Energy and Power...

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sat Aug 6 17:05:20 CDT 2011

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 16:25:28 -0400, Gordon Howell -- Howell Mayhew
Engineering <ghowell at hme.ca> wrote:

> people who "apparently" understand how to
> "figure it out" then making huge calculating errors when the look at
> solar PV economics or sizing (as I've seen many times) because they
> don't fundamentally know the difference between energy and power.
>
> I would suggest that it is extremely important to not mix up these units.

I can understand how an electrical engineer or a TA marking papers might
get upset when people get their units mixed up but I would venture that
it's' pretty low on the priority lists of most people.

I think that everyone knows and can recognise the difference between a 5
watt bulb  and a 25 watt bulb and I also think that people understand the
ramifications of the "kiloWatt-hours" number on their electricity bill and
have an inkling of the difference in meaning between the two units.

The rest, as they say, is just semantics IMO.

In Nick Pine's case, the problem was not a miscommunication of units but
rather, a complete failure to  understand the reality of real world
application of what are to him, merely numerical concepts to be plugged
into a BASIC routine. ie a 10 kW array x 10 hrs should generate 100 kWh of
electricity. Right ? So what's this nonsense from some "nitwit" about
buying enough panels for a 13 kW array to make a 10 kW-capacity plant ?

OTOH, if we were to have a discussion about the merits of panels using a
cell type costing $8 per watt (as is the case for my LlamaRancher
neighbour's/nearby Enphase arrays, (mono or polycrystalline?) and panels
of a cell type costing $3 per watt (as mentioned in Frank's recent message
(amorphous thin-film ?), and the cells costing $1 per watt that have
popped up in articles here and there, I think that more than a few ears
and eyeballs would perk up.

In the case of these MicroFIT installations (10 kW) in Ontario, we're
talking about ~$80,000 as compared to ~$30,000 for similar-sized arrays. A
difference in  cost of $50,000 is, I think, pretty significant to most
people whereas the difference between kiloWatts and kiloWatt-hours, not so
much.

[And no, I do not think that Frank is anything remotely resembling a
"nitwit". Far from it. ]
--
=== * ===
Rob Tom