[Greenbuilding] Earth-berming an existing home

Leslie Moyer unschooler at lrec.org
Wed Aug 10 23:37:19 CDT 2011

Can anyone point me to some information on what would be involved in berming an existing above-grade home?  We have a typical 70's era brick ranch home.  About half of the home has high windows and I'm wondering if it would be possible to haul dirt in and berm up around the sides.  But of course, it wasn't originally built for that.  So I'm wondering what might be involved and what considerations should we take into account?  It's built on a masonry block stem wall with a crawl space that is ventilated right now.

Leslie Moyer
unschooler at lrec.org
www.ShadyGroveNaturalFarm.com