[Greenbuilding] Flattening the Curve

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 20 17:11:17 CDT 2011

Hi Richard,

Just to kick the can a little further with respect to electric water
heaters, I checked the power monitor on our 1.38 kW/115-volt water
heater and over the past twenty-eight days we've consumed an average of
3.79 kWh per day.  That covers off two showers per day, two to three
loads of laundry per week washed in hot water, and running the
dishwasher about every fourth day (our washer and dishwasher are both
made by Bosch).  To minimize the risk of legionella forming at the
bottom of the tank, we keep the thermostat set at 170°F so our standby
losses are a little higher than what they would be otherwise.  Be that
as it may, at less than 4.0 kWh per day I don't feel overly sheepish
about using electricity to perform this task, particularly when the only
other alternatives are oil and propane.

Cheers,
Paul