[Greenbuilding] Flattening the Curve

Richard Garbary richard6 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 08:21:35 CDT 2011

Paul:

Your total consumption #'s (4 kwh/day)and your demand #'s (1.38 kw) are very
impressive. I wouldn't be too concerned about the standby losses too much
especially if you've mitigated that with a blanket. Those losses, I believe,
are far less than those that are incurred by thermal peaker plants running @
~30% efficiency and pumped storage @ ~80% to power high-demand, on demand
tank and tankless water heaters. This does not include the cost of
financing, building, maintaining, running...or the line losses. Also, the
fact the these standby facilities run only for very brief time periods, some
only hours/ year! Caching the energy (with minimal losses) at the point of
use is the way to go. You could power our homes with "trickle chargers". Why
is it necessary to have a 3kw or 4.5kw or 25 kw element to heat 1 to 10
gallons of water? I wonder what the  "curve" would look like if all tank
water heaters had a 1.5 kw bottom element and DHR.

Richard