[Greenbuilding] Fear and loathing in plumbing (was Re: Flattening the Curve)

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sun Aug 21 13:29:15 CDT 2011

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 21:23:15 -0400, Corwyn <corwyn at midcoast.com> wrote:

> On 8/20/2011 9:07 PM, Paul Eldridge wrote:
>
>> According to Hydro Québec, "[e]ven at 60 °C – the setting on most
>> electric water heaters – an estimated 25% of all water heaters are
>> contaminated by legionella bacteria."
>
> Is Hydro Québec known for the medical research?

I don't doubt that the high numbers of contaminated HWHs that Hydro Québec
cites are true. If anything, the number is probably on the low side.

However, at the same time, one notes that there is not a corresponding
number for 25% of the population dropping like flies as a result of
contracting Legionnaires' Disease.

Our bodies are amazing contraptions.

When exposed to micro-organisms that can kill us or make us sick, our
sacks of bones seem to have an amazing ability to set things in motion to
build up natural defenses that eventually give us a degree of immunity to
that enemy.

Perhaps long-term, daily exposure to low doses of Legionella in the course
of our daily washing activities has helped a large portion of that 25% of
the population who apparently have contaminated HWHs, to develop a degree
of immunity to that bacteria ?

But if concerns of having Legionella lurking in one's HW system is keeping
one up a night, then I would venture that a regular maintenance program
which includes draining of the HWH heater and supply lines, followed by
flushing until the flush water runs clear, followed by the addition of #
litres of bleach or hydrogen peroxide to the DHWH and then opening the
taps until the disinfectant-loaded water has reached the tap and then
letting it sit overnight, should be enough to genuinely and effectively
alleviate those fears.

Me ? I keep the thermostat of my DHWH set at 60 degC and only flush out
the tank (in the manner described above) when I remember that I should
probably change the anode rod, being of the belief that being exposed to
the micro-organisms which have the capacity to kill us (rather than
sheltered from), ultimately makes us stronger.  (see postings in the
archives re: Cat Tea (and rainwater cistern also containing bird
droppings/drowned rodents while living downstream from feedlot)"

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom