[Greenbuilding] drying clothes

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 19:37:52 CDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Benjamin Pratt
<benjamin.g.pratt at gmail.com>wrote:

> "Most of the world doesn't use clothes dryers and somehow they manage."
>
> Not a great argument. Much of the people in the world don't have
> toilets, are malnourished, don't use birth control, don't have access
> to an education or healthcare, etc ,etc, etc.

Ben, are you suggesting that clothes dryers are somehow comparable to food
and birth control? Because I definitely don't think so. Clothes dryers have
nothing to do with health or self determination. They are much more like
electric car windows and the TV remote, manifestations of our desire for
endless automation:
“Automatism is king, and its fascination is indeed so powerful precisely
because it is not that of a technical rationality: rather we come under its
spell because we experience it as a basic desire, as* the imaginary truth of
the object*, in comparison with which the object’s structure and concrete
function leave us cold” (Baudrillard, Jean. 1996. *The System of Objects*.
London, England: Verso (first published in French, 1968:111).

> Most of the people dn't manage--at least their lives could be a whole lot
> better if  there
> were any justice in the world....
> I know those things are a lot more important than wrinkles.

A little bit more, yes.

I'm just trying to say that telling anyone that they should live as if they
> are poor is not realistic.

Huh? Germans - poor?  (61.4% of German households do not have a clothes
dryer)

Das Statistische
Bundesamt<http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistisches_Bundesamt>weist
für das Jahr 2009 eine Ausstattungsquote bei den privaten Haushalten
von 38,6 Prozent in Deutschland aus, die einen Wäschetrockner
besitzen.[7]<http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%A4schetrockner#cite_note-6>