[Greenbuilding] Natural ventilation.

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Tue Aug 30 20:19:52 CDT 2011

Frank King, writing in "Ventilation", is correct:
Air once breathed has reduced food value.  And ingesting it reduces
ones' sustaining power.
So fresh air is truly what we need.
Thanks for that info, Rob.  Priceless, really.

And thanks, Mike, for the link to Duro Dyne.  I think I can make use of
their spring loaded 4" damper, for the Summer months.

Admittedly, Alan, the volume of air exchange won't be huge.  But in the
compact, well-sealed home we're building for the Cool Hemp folks, a
steady night-time/day-time trickle of "pure, free air of field and
forest" through a 4" opening, both in and out, should make some sort of
difference.  Of course an opening skylight of 2 foot by 3 foot would be
much better at air exchange.  But as Rob Tom has said,  I'm cringing and
I am tempted to say "Gggggnnnaaaah!"

A four inch pipe is pretty insignificant, in the big scheme of things.
But it's better than nothing at all, and it takes double advantage of
the required 4" combustion air supply, during the few non-wood-burning
months we get in this climate.

(That's a pretty funny appellation, Alan.
"Tar Sand Nation" also makes me cringe.)

Frank

Frank Tettemer
Living Sol ~ Building and Design
www.livingsol.com
613 756 3884

I suspect that fellow MooseHugger Frank, like I, cringed and uttered
"Gggggnnnaaaah!" at warm-clime AA-man's suggestion to install a skylight.

Oh! The horror!
...in a well insulated house, where there ought to be little
stratification in winter time, why would a skylight be any less energy
efficient than a window of the same size and glazing quality?  Further,
if it were strategically located and obtained some winter daytime gain,
and or if the homeowner from Tar Sand Nation installed a two inch block
of styrofoam in the opening from November to March, it might be a net
asset, not to mention to provide the summer stack effect bonus.

AA