[Greenbuilding] Natural ventilation.

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Aug 30 19:20:48 CDT 2011

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 20:20:01 -0400, Frank Tettemer <frank at livingsol.com>
wrote:

> The walls are 8'-3" at the truss plate, and the central high point in
> the ceiling is 10'6".
> The home will be heated with an ESSE wood cooker, and has a 4" diameter
> ABS pipe emerging from the floor, behind the ESSE, bringing in fresh
> air, from below ground, and will be ducted to the combustion air inlet
> on the wood stove for the winter.
> During the summer, a 4" TEE in this air pipe will allow earth-cooled
> outside air into the home.
>
> Back to my original question around ventilation. How do I open and close
> that 4" ceiling vent?

In my previous reply to this thread I got so carried away with yammering
on about F.H King's natural ventilation system that I forgot the raison
d'être for my posting -- Frank's question about the ceiling vent.

In my own home for the combustion air inlet that is a 100 mm  I.D. pipe
run from outdoors -> under the under-slab insulation -> to the woodburner
located at the geometric centre of the floor plan, I installed a short
section of thick-walled (6 mm)steel pipe at the point where the inlet pipe
emerges from the floor and inside of the pipe, a stainless steel round
disc, precision-fitted, mounted to a brass rod (16 mm dia) fitted through
the diameter of the steel pipe, ends of the rod extending out from the
pipe far enough to accommodate washers, lock washers, hex nuts and a lever
to indicate the orientation of the disc as well as providing a means to
rotate it. (SS and brass components to minimise the possibility of moving
parts seizing due to rust from condensation) -- basically an automotive
carburetor throat.

The leading edges of the disc are bevelled (ie for half of the
circumference on opposing faces) to enable the disc to move to and from
the fully closed position (same idea as bevelling the latch edge of a
door). I don't use that supply inlet. (see note below)

To operate the damper from 4 ft down from a 10 ft ceiling, it would be a
matter of providing some mechanical linkages (ie a sash cord + pulleys,
like on old-fashioned Venetian blinds or a couple of short rods).

If that sounds like too much trouble, perhaps there might be some
honking-big carburetor in the Big Trucks graveyard that could be salvaged
and butchered for the job and keep the throttle mechanism so that you step
on a gas pedal to operate the butterfly ? (Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk)

That being said (this is the Note Below), it might be a good idea to have
a look at Norbert Senf's comments on the necessity, utility and dangers of
providing outdoor combustion air ducted to wood-burning appliances in
air-tight houses , taking note of the potential for the supply duct to
inadvertently becoming a flame-spouting chimney (and as such, the
inadvisabilty of using plast-eccchhh! components in that duct run :

  http://www.repp.org/discussion/greenbuilding/199901/msg00481.html

Another approach (instead of the butterfly valve) might be to install
something like the site-made damper for the 150 mm (6 inch) exhaust vent
on my downdraft kitchen range -- not unlike the blast gate that is used in
the duct runs of woodworkers' dust collection systems.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=51506&cat=,62597

The advantage of this approach is that the the blade or "gate" can be made
as an insulated panel. (I used a 20 cm x 20 cm (8" x 8") piece of 50 mm (2
inch) eXtruded PolyStyrene wrapped with 30 gauge galvalume on the business
faces of the sliding panel), site-bent galvalume channels for the tracks
in which the panel slides, site-made sheet metal collars etc. all mounted
onto a piece of 10 mm plywood so that the whole schmozzle is easily
attached and air-sealed over the vent opening.

And all that being said, I am more than a little sceptical of the efficacy
of a 100 mm ID passive supply air inlet for whole-house cooling. I suspect
that we'd be talking more along the lines of something
with at least 10x that in cross-sectional area.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom