[Greenbuilding] Ductless Heat Pump Performance - November 2011

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 3 21:10:11 CST 2011

nick pine nick at early.com writes:

>>/... virtually all of our space heating needs are satisfied by two ductless
/>>/heat pumps and our DHW is heated electrically... our consumption for
/>>November can be viewed at:

>  http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo69/HereinHalifax/HP-Nov2011.jpg
>
>Your heat pumps made 964.4 kWh of space heat with 13.1x30d = 393 kWh at a
>2.45 COP?

With respect to November's COP, we spent several days painting in
preparation for the holidays, during which time we had windows open to
air out the place.  Our heat loss calculations do not take into account
these additional space heating demands, so our actual COP would be
higher than what is stated here (how much higher, I do not know).

 >>Our goal this year is to get our total household consumption below the
 >>10,000 kWh mark...

 >Less than 10K kWh in an average year seems easy with the help of some
solar
 >siding :-)

I should make clear that this goal includes all energy demands, i.e.,
space heating and cooling, domestic hot water, major appliances and all
plug loads including those of my home office.  One of our largest
demands is our dehumidifier which runs seemingly non-stop four months of
the year.

Also, as noted before, our solar options are limited.  Our home faces
east-west, the roof line is punctuated by multiple dormers and the south
side is heavily shaded by a steep rock face and stand of trees.  Even if
this were not the case, I'm not inclined to alter the appearance of our
home in any material way, particularly when our space heating costs are
comparatively modest and the electricity that we consume is 100 per cent
renewable.  I'm content to keep things as they are.

Cheers,
Paul