[Greenbuilding] Ductless Heat Pump Performance - November 2011

Paul Eldridge paul.eldridge at ns.sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 3 22:12:42 CST 2011

Hi Richard,

I took a quick peek at our power monitors and the upper and lower level
units are currently drawing 327 and 252-watts respectively, for a grand
total of 579-watts.  At the moment, the outside temperature is holding
steady at 1°C and the indoor set temperature is 20°C.

If the house is at its set temperature and one of the heat pumps can no
longer supply additional heat without overshooting this setting, the
circulation fan runs at very low speed and power consumption falls to
about 25-watts.  When a small amount of heat is required, they typically
draw in the order of 235-watts and if you force one into "turbo mode" it
can pull upwards of 1,550-watts, for a maximum of fifteen minutes at one
time.  A couple of weeks ago when temperatures dipped to -6°C and winds
were brisk, the upper level unit was drawing anywhere from 750 to
900-watts.  Still, compared to electric resistance heat, that's less
than what would be needed to operate a single 4-foot strip.

Bullfrog is great.  I had originally subscribed to Nova Scotia Power's
"Green Power" plan but it was later withdrawn by the utility (I think I
was one of only thirty customers in the province to do so).  Shortly
thereafter, Bullfrog expanded into the Maritimes and I signed up
immediately.

Regards,
Paul