[Greenbuilding] Ductless Heat Pump Performance - November 2011

Richard Garbary richard6 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 13:09:29 CST 2011

Paul:

Thanks for the details. So, when the temperature drops a  degree or two you
only have an incremental (tiny) increase in power consumption. The
implications are huge. If more homes installed these ductless units* with
inverter technology* ( Nova Scotia is ideal with average winter
temperatures of -3 degrees) the utility wouldn't have to do massive
ramp-ups trying to cope with thousands of baseboards simultaneously
demanding 1,500 kw - 4,500kw or oil furnace burners demanding 1.5 - 5 amps
when the temperature drops. Also, many don't factor the electrical input of
burner motors and distribution fans ( many running 24/7 through
non-insulated leaky ducts in crawl spaces, garages and attics) when costing
out their gas and oil central heating systems. The fact that one appliance
is providing heating and air conditioning is very appealing.

Very impressive.

Richard