[Greenbuilding] Black Locust instead of Ipe

Tim Vireo Keating t.keating at rainforestrelief.org
Wed Dec 7 20:01:37 CST 2011

Sacie, et al,

I apologize for the delay in responding to this.
As David mentioned, I have been working on this
for some time but have been swamped.

Years ago, black locust was used for wagon wheel
hubs, "trunnels" ("tree nails" for nailing wooden
ship hulls to the beams), occasionally for ship
hulls, for insulator pins on telegraph poles and
sometimes for the poles themselves.These days,
the wood is still (occasionally) used for certain
parts of wooden boats but, as you say, mostly
used for fence posts.

I have been recommending black locust as an
alternative to tropical hardwoods to companies
and municipalities for about five years. The use
of this material in Brooklyn Bridge Park, where I
campaigned for two years against the use of ipê,
is a direct result of my advocacy - as it is in
Central Park and by NYC Parks Department in
general.

I firmly believe that black locust can provide an
excellent alternative to tropical hardwoods in
applications where durability vis-a-vis
resistance to moisture and bacterial breakdown is
an issue. This includes decks (including the
rails), porches, exterior posts, sill plates,
fencing, siding and even roofing shingles (should
one attempt to go with wood, as they did in the
old days).

I have been working for some time to be able to
provide these profiles to users. Indeed, I had
convinced at least one municipality to order the
wood for their boardwalk renovation project more
than a year ago, but they ended up buying the
wood from a supplier that sold them 'log run',
which was not suitable for a municipal boardwalk.

There is no doubt that, for many applications,
using black locust has its challenges. I believe
these can be overcome with some application of
intelligence and I am working on doing this right
now. It's very important to understand the
realities of this wood, especially in regards to
the size of the trees, their tendency to twist as
they grow and the tendency of the wood to move as
it's milled and after. It's an extremely dense
and strong material. One needs to know just how
to dry it and then how to mill and plane it - and
then re-plane it! As well, there are applications
where it simply won't work (I have personal
experience with one such application, where I was
the first person to recommend the material to the
user, then they ended up buying if from a
supplier and using it in an area I didn't know
about, in a very thin profile, with only one
screw holding the four-foot-ling pieces down on
each end - not the right place for, or at least
the way to fasten, this material).

I have seen this material in place and performing
extremely well in numerous situations. One just
needs to know how to deal with it.

If anyone on this list would like to try black
locust for any of the above applications, please
contact me.

tim keating

At 9:26 AM -0600 11/16/11, Sacie Lambertson wrote:
>When we lived in Virginia, Black Locust was the
>post of choice.  Out here in Kansas, Hedge is
>(Osage Orange).  Both last forever in the
>ground, though the latter lasts even longer than
>that.  This article about using Black Locust
>which can be sustainably harvested, rather than
>Ipe, which isn't, is compelling.
>
><http://dirt.asla.org/2011/11/10/why-use-ipe-when-you-can-have-black-locust/>http://dirt.asla.org/2011/11/10/why-use-ipe-when-you-can-have-black-locust/
>
>Sacie

"The Earth and myself are of one mind. The measure of the land and the
measure of our bodies are the same..."
     	                               - Hinmaton Yalatkit, Nez Perce chief

R   A   I   N   F   O   R   E   S   T        R   E   L   I   E   F

Sparing  the  World's  Rainforests  from  Consumption

Rainforest Relief works to protect the world's remaining tropical
and temperate rainforests by reducing the demand for the products
and materials of rainforest destruction such as timber and paper,
industrial agricultural products such as bananas, beef, coffee,
chocolate and cut flowers, and mining products
such as oil, gold and aluminum.

New York, NY: (917) 543-4064
Portland, OR: (503) 236-3031
http://www.rainforestrelief.org
info at rainforestrelief.org
Church Street Station * PO Box 298 * NY, NY 10008-0298