[Greenbuilding] black locust and osage orange

Tim Vireo Keating t.keating at rainforestrelief.org
Wed Dec 7 20:10:32 CST 2011

Tim,

I would recommend recycled plastic lumber (not wood-plastic composite
lumber!) for raised garden beds. This material won't warp or rot and
can be installed like wood. Black locust would be tough to find in
12" widths and also would tend to move in this situation, with the
lack of fastening.

Contact me if you're interested, as I've been working with various
suppliers of true plastic lumber for years.

tim keating

At 12:12 AM +0000 11/17/11, candtcampbell at juno.com wrote:
>Is either of these species appropriate for raised vegetable garden
>beds? Are 2 x 12's of either species available in Georgia?
>
>Tim
>
>When we lived in Virginia, Black Locust was the post of choice.  Out here
>in Kansas, Hedge is (Osage Orange).  Both last forever in the ground,
>though the latter lasts even longer than that.  This article about using
>Black Locust which can be sustainably harvested, rather than Ipe, which
>isn't, is compelling.
>
>http://dirt.asla.org/2011/11/10/why-use-ipe-when-you-can-have-black-locust/
>
>Sacie

"The Earth and myself are of one mind. The measure of the land and the
measure of our bodies are the same..."
     	                               - Hinmaton Yalatkit, Nez Perce chief

R   A   I   N   F   O   R   E   S   T        R   E   L   I   E   F

Sparing  the  World's  Rainforests  from  Consumption

Rainforest Relief works to protect the world's remaining tropical
and temperate rainforests by reducing the demand for the products
and materials of rainforest destruction such as timber and paper,
industrial agricultural products such as bananas, beef, coffee,
chocolate and cut flowers, and mining products
such as oil, gold and aluminum.

New York, NY: (917) 543-4064
Portland, OR: (503) 236-3031
http://www.rainforestrelief.org
info at rainforestrelief.org
Church Street Station * PO Box 298 * NY, NY 10008-0298