[Greenbuilding] black locust and osage orange

Tim Vireo Keating t.keating at rainforestrelief.org
Wed Dec 7 20:13:40 CST 2011

The only problem with that is obtaining pieces that are long enough.
Typically black locust is available in widths like 2x4 or 2x6 and up
to 12'. That's about it unless you want to scour the US for longer
lengths. Osage trees are typically even smaller than black locust.

What profiles did you have in mind?

I wouldn't recommend either of these for studs as it's simply not
necessary. What parts of the addition did you have in mind?

tim

At 6:46 PM -0600 11/16/11, Sacie Lambertson wrote:
>To my knowledge Hedge is not harvested for anything other than fence
>posts.  These are ideal for decks and such as well.  I've even
>thought about using them for a small house addition, figuring they
>will outlast the room above.  Sacie
>
>On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 6:12 PM,
><mailto:candtcampbell at juno.com>candtcampbell at juno.com
><<mailto:candtcampbell at juno.com>candtcampbell at juno.com> wrote:
>
>Is either of these species appropriate for raised vegetable garden
>beds? Are 2 x 12's of either species available in Georgia?
>
>Tim

"The Earth and myself are of one mind. The measure of the land and the
measure of our bodies are the same..."
     	                               - Hinmaton Yalatkit, Nez Perce chief

R   A   I   N   F   O   R   E   S   T        R   E   L   I   E   F

Sparing  the  World's  Rainforests  from  Consumption

Rainforest Relief works to protect the world's remaining tropical
and temperate rainforests by reducing the demand for the products
and materials of rainforest destruction such as timber and paper,
industrial agricultural products such as bananas, beef, coffee,
chocolate and cut flowers, and mining products
such as oil, gold and aluminum.

New York, NY: (917) 543-4064
Portland, OR: (503) 236-3031
http://www.rainforestrelief.org
info at rainforestrelief.org
Church Street Station * PO Box 298 * NY, NY 10008-0298