[Greenbuilding] Another Green Myth: Garbage Incinerators Are Green Sources of Energy

Tim Vireo Keating t.keating at rainforestrelief.org
Wed Dec 7 21:04:35 CST 2011

Erin,

You have indeed mentioned an important aspect of "waste to energy"
facilities - the need to compete in the marketing of the energy. This
is why these facilities will often enter into agreements with
counties to assure that the counties supply a minimum amount of
waste. Contrary to what you have said, this actually creates a
disincentive to recycling and recovery of waste. This was certainly
the case in Monmouth County, NJ, where we beat back the incinerator
that was proposed (the former governor had decreed there should be
one in each county in the state).

In Bergen County, I believe, the incinerator company actually sued
the county when the waste being delivered to the incinerator dropped
below an agreed level, and, when recyling started to kick in, the
county had to start importing waste from another county or face
massive fines (to which they had agree).

These facilities are a maw that needs to be constantly fed, once built.

Yes, landfilling is not a great option. But, if one were to take the
millions committed to these facilities (supposedly to create jobs)
and the billions to build them and actually educate the community
(with door-to-door neighborhood environmental wardens (giving
students summer jobs), shift to a pay-per-pound trash disposal
arrangement, deliver bins for source-separation and hire a crew of
enforcement agents, I believe recycling rates would approach 90%,
negating the need for incinerators. The 10% heading to landfills
could be processed in MRFs, capturing another 5% of the total (that
is 50% of what the MRF processes). These MRFs (material recovery
facilities) could be subsidized for about 10% of the subsidies going
to the incinerators.

If any company saw the opportunity to make any money burning what
little is left, 'power' to them. But, given what I know about
incinerators, this would be unlikely.

My personal experience in Jersey City, NJ is that people are simply
either not recycling or they are putting materials into the recycling
that the "recycling" company can't use (that is, contaminants). But
the company picking up the recyclables doesn't care because they are
contacted by the city for a set amount, regardless of what they
collect. Thus, there is a disincentive to enforce recycling. My guess
is that much of what they collect ends up at the incinerator. This is
a shame. We need to create incentives to use recyclable packages by
charging for waste generated (pay-per-pound) as well as educate our
populations. Also, we need to bring back source-separation and
municipal collection of recyclables. As well, our recycling
coordinators need to be educated and committed to recycling, rather
than hired from cities' existing public works departments' staff, who
know nothing about recycling or the markets for recycled materials).

I believe that if these steps were taken, municipalities would be
making money by selling recycled materials, recycling rates would
approach 90% and thus there would be no need to burn anything.

Oh, and BTW, incinerators are horrible generators of mercury (likely
from batteries thrown in the trash that could have easily been
recycled, had the people been educated and given incentives to do so).

tim

At 12:23 PM -0800 12/1/11, Erin Rasmussen wrote:

>Okay, to address the unfeasible question I'll go backward before I
>go forward.  I am not by any means an expert in this area, but this
>is the back story that I was thinking of as I wrote that message.
>
>In burning clean waste for energy, you are essentially create a
>company that has to operate at enough of a profit to be able to keep
>paying their employees and keep up with maintenance to the facility
>and the machinery needed to perform that task (and cover your other
>overhead).  On top of that, these energy plants can be  expensive,
>and the investors typically want to be paid back some amount of
>profit for their initial investment.
>
>Fuels derived from clean, unrecyclable sources are often oddly
>shaped and require specialized material handling to put them into a
>form that can be efficiently burned in a power plant, and the cost
>of that handling can make the fuel expensive.
>
>These plants also typically operate in a market where they compete
>with some relatively inexpensive forms of power. So, the plant may
>not be able to sell enough power at a high enough profit to pay for
>the expensive fuel, the maintenance of the facility and the pay of
>the employees. (I'm ignoring the investors for now).  Those are some
>factors that  can make the plant unfeasible.
>
>In some areas, there are incentives for disposing of waste (tipping
>fees etc) that can make up the difference in price and allow the
>power plant to operate at enough of a profit to ensure continued
>operation.  (I don't get the sense that companies are making a lot
>of money in this area the profit off of wind turbines is a lot
>higher and that seems to be driving some of the growth in that area).
>
>In addition to the obvious necessity of keeping the doors open on
>your facility, there's the "will of the people" in your area.  In
>some areas, the local community is supportive of the plant, and
>there tends to be a positive experience, but in many areas of the
>country the community is less supportive and/or actively working
>against your facility (or proposed facility) and in those areas the
>experience of the people who own and run the plant can be quite
>different.
>
>Cheers,
>Erin
>erin at trmiles.com

"The Earth and myself are of one mind. The measure of the land and the
measure of our bodies are the same..."
     	                               - Hinmaton Yalatkit, Nez Perce chief

R   A   I   N   F   O   R   E   S   T        R   E   L   I   E   F

Sparing  the  World's  Rainforests  from  Consumption

Rainforest Relief works to protect the world's remaining tropical
and temperate rainforests by reducing the demand for the products
and materials of rainforest destruction such as timber and paper,
industrial agricultural products such as bananas, beef, coffee,
chocolate and cut flowers, and mining products
such as oil, gold and aluminum.

New York, NY: (917) 543-4064
Portland, OR: (503) 236-3031
http://www.rainforestrelief.org
info at rainforestrelief.org
Church Street Station * PO Box 298 * NY, NY 10008-0298