[Greenbuilding] Another Green Myth: Garbage Incinerators Are Green Sources of Energy

Tim Vireo Keating t.keating at rainforestrelief.org
Thu Dec 8 18:25:56 CST 2011

Certainly, wood pulp is used to make paper. The question is whether
one can get it to the paper mill. Putting it into the recycling bin
with paper won't work (the mills that use recycled paper for furnish
cannot handle wood). I would either compost it or burn it in the
fireplace. In the latter case, one is offsetting the harvesting of
trees for that purpose. Of course, composting it will take some time,
unless one grinds it first. But, after grinding, wood chips or
sawdust are a common additive to compost piles.

Of course, this is only if it's 'clean' - that is, untreated,
unpainted, unvarnished and unstained.

tim

At 11:15 AM -0500 12/8/11, Clarke Olsen wrote:
>Could waste wood, like too-short-to-save 2x scraps, be used to make paper?
>We know hemp can be used for paper, can hemp and wood pulp be mixed?
>
>Clarke Olsen
>373 route 203
>Spencertown, NY 12165
>USA
>518-392-4640
><mailto:colsen at fairpoint.net>colsen at fairpoint.net
>

>On Dec 8, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Ron Cascio wrote:
>
>>What the "waste" incinerators really like to see in the can are the
>>high BTU content petroleum based plastics... just the stuff we need
>>not to be there that have high value recyclability.
>>
>>Ron
>>
>>  <http://www.avg.com>ww.avg.com

"The Earth and myself are of one mind. The measure of the land and the
measure of our bodies are the same..."
     	                               - Hinmaton Yalatkit, Nez Perce chief

R   A   I   N   F   O   R   E   S   T        R   E   L   I   E   F

Sparing  the  World's  Rainforests  from  Consumption

Rainforest Relief works to protect the world's remaining tropical
and temperate rainforests by reducing the demand for the products
and materials of rainforest destruction such as timber and paper,
industrial agricultural products such as bananas, beef, coffee,
chocolate and cut flowers, and mining products
such as oil, gold and aluminum.

New York, NY: (917) 543-4064
Portland, OR: (503) 236-3031
http://www.rainforestrelief.org
info at rainforestrelief.org
Church Street Station * PO Box 298 * NY, NY 10008-0298