[Greenbuilding] firewood moisture content - a question for Norbert perhaps

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Mon Dec 12 11:39:56 CST 2011

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 08:51:07 -0500, Corwyn <corwyn at midcoast.com> wrote:

> On 12/11/2011 9:56 PM, Reuben Deumling wrote:
>>
>> Put more succinctly, what is the penalty for having firewood that is not
>> quite dry?

I would be more concerned about potential creosote formation/accumulation
 from burning wood at 25% MC than I would be about the reduction in heat
output.

The following table in a timber eng text (and attributed to source
Canadian Wood Council) listing typical equilibrium moisture contents (EMC)
in Canada, for the We(s)t Coast might be a good guide for wood-burners

		Average		Winter		Summer
		EMC			EMC			EMC
Indoors			10-11			8			12
Outdoors	15-16			18			13

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")