[Greenbuilding] firewood moisture content - a question for Norbert perhaps

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Mon Dec 12 21:10:17 CST 2011

On 12/12/2011 9:38 PM, Sacie Lambertson wrote:
> RT said:
>
>     I would be more concerned about potential creosote
>     formation/accumulation from burning wood at 25% MC than I would be
>     about the reduction in heat output.
>

> Me too.  Reuben once mentioned he lights his fires several times a day
> only; from this I infer he lets it go out, then later, as the house
> cools, fires up the stove again.  Is this correct, Reuben?  If so, how
> do you prevent creosote buildup in your chimney?  Or maybe you simply
> clean it several times a year?

The wood I am burning this year is particularly wet, so perhaps I will
have something to say on the matter come spring.  That said, my chimney
has never needed cleaning; I clean the stove pipe, and the basement
clean out, but the flue has always been clean. I burn almost as hot as
possible, though at most one fire per day.  I contend that creosote
buildup comes from burning too cool while in the initial stages of wood
burning (i.e. before the wood is reduced to coals).  I can imagine
Reuben being able to burn multiple small fires without creosote buildup
if they are hot enough.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--