[Greenbuilding] firewood moisture content - a question for Norbert perhaps

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 10:22:04 CST 2011

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 6:53 AM, <bill.allen at verizon.net> wrote:

> For this novice, how big is "fine split"?
> I'm assuming each log is cut to 16 inches and then split....but how small
> are you talking?

Length is going to be up to you/your stove.

As for cross section I have been nudged down this 'split finer' road by
John Gulland's oft-mentioned woodheat.org page where you can read about
this as well. For the past five-six years I've been splitting my wood finer
and finer. I think I've gotten to where I don't need to go smaller anymore.
My pieces are split to where the majority of them are no thicker across
than ~3". The cross sections will vary tremendously, and wood that is easy
to split I split finer and wood that is full of knots I end up leaving
bigger. You do want a range of sizes, I think, just nothing that is as big
as you'll likely get delivered from Joe firewood cutter. My ideal piece I'd
say has a triangular cross-section with each side about 3-3-1/2" wide.
I have found describing the size of a piece of firewood difficult. Perhaps
others can do a better job?