[Greenbuilding] flue gas thermometers, was firewood moisture content

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Sun Dec 18 13:15:56 CST 2011

On 12/18/2011 12:43 PM, Reuben Deumling wrote:

> How do you know if you are someone who 'needs one' or not?

If you don't know, you need one.

> I concur. But my analogy with the tachometer holds. Each car
> (transmission + engine) may have a different sweet spot where the fuel
> burned per mile driven is lowest.

And each tach is different.

> I think this is a straw man. When the fire is starting and dying down
> (when you are coming out of your driveway, or coasting to a stop light)
> there's obviously no benefit to knowing what the temperature is (the
> rpms are). But aside from those two periods, I had come to believe
> (perhaps erroneously) that having your fire close to some sort of (high
> temperature) steady state was in fact desirable.

Perhaps you drive out your driveway, then accelerate to 2000 RPMs and
keep it there until you slow to a stop.  But that isn't how *I* drive,
or burn wood.  There is a benefit in knowing what temperature your coals
only fire is burning.  [Plus I drive a Prius, so I don't have a tach,
but I do have a instantaneous MPG meter :-) ]

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap