[Greenbuilding] Fixture Folly

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Dec 20 13:21:06 CST 2011

------- Forwarded message -------
From: "J M Alden" <speireag at gmail.com>

> Here's are my design goals and limitations:
>  o  It must be operable by soapy, arthritic hands.  So:  levers, and not
>     standard, stiff ball-valve levers

>  o  It must get the water deeper than an inch or two in less than ten
> minutes or so.

> o  The user must be able to cause the water to enter the tub where it is
>    convenient for that user at that time, and then not have to hold it
> there,
>    as you can with a pot-filler.[snip]

Spgrblfxz;

As you may be aware, the equation for "Work" = Force x distance

That is to say, the effort to operate a standard "stiff" ballcock valve
could be reduced by simply increasing the length of the lever.

It wouldn't take much skill/effort/expense to make a suitable length lever
out of a piece of brass bar stock or to modify a salvaged piece of brass
(or stainless or gold or dinosaur bone) to replace the short,
plain-jane/jake stock lever that comes with the ballcock valve.

Three water lines, three ballcocks/custom levers -- total cost under $50.

The outlets from the 3 ballcocks (1/2 " ?) could be plumbed to a larger
3/4" pipe leading to the tub filler so that delivery volume would not be
throttled down.

Assuming that you're after something like a tub filler spout as opposed to
a handheld shower affair, perhaps you plumb the 3/4" pipe to a diverter
that would feed tub fillers at the various locations you desire (ie front,
middle and rear ?) and perhaps use brass channel stock to make spill-ways
into the tub from the 3/4" line.

Or if you are after a hand-held shower affair, perhaps you go to a
restaurant/institutional kitchen supply (used or new, your choice) and get
one of those overhead-hung, lever-operated sprayers (about a 4" diameter
sprayer rose) that is used to pressure-wash stuff on the conveyor or sink
before it gets fed into the dishwasher.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")