[Greenbuilding] Fixture Folly

J M Alden speireag at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 18:52:16 CST 2011

Sgrìobh Rob Tom:

> As you may be aware, the equation for "Work" = Force x distance
>
> That is to say, the effort to operate a standard "stiff" ballcock valve could be reduced by simply increasing the length of the lever.
>
> It wouldn't take much skill/effort/expense to make a suitable length lever out of a piece of brass bar stock or to modify a salvaged piece of brass (or stainless or gold or dinosaur bone) to replace the short, plain-jane/jake stock lever that comes with the ballcock valve.
>
> Three water lines, three ballcocks/custom levers -- total cost under $50.

	My understanding is that a standard ball valve is not made to be operated many times a day.  Also, they squeal when they're adjusted to let less than full flow go through.

	I thought about cobbling something together from boiler drains, but I'd have to attach a lever to those for the ergonomic criteria, and then undoubtedly people would over-tighten one way or another and I'd be replacing them.

	I'm going to go hunting through another plumbing supply.  It's got to be out there somewhere.

-Speireag.

--
If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.
--Dorothy Parker