[Greenbuilding] Triac Thermostats

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 18:48:31 CST 2011

As far as any physics I have seen, electric resistance water heaters and baseboards are both 100% efficient. Modulating the output does nothing to improve the efficiency.
The efficiency of the grid is around 30%, so electric resistance heat is around 30% efficient.
Use a heat pump at COP of 3 and you are now around 90% efficient.

I won't comment on oil heat since this is a small and rapidly shrinking form of heat.