[Greenbuilding] Triac Thermostats

Carmine Vasile gfx-ch at msn.com
Fri Dec 23 11:29:14 CST 2011

John: The physics you have "seen" relates to conversion efficiency -- not site energy use or annual operating efficiency, which is difficult to calculate because it includes cycling losses, heat distribution losses, stack losses, etc.       For example, from May of 1994 to May of 1995 (the last year we used an oil-fired, tankless-coil space & water heater) we used  37,232 kWh of site-energy; electricity + 700 gallons of home heating oil worth about $2800 today. We had a with a DHR system; no natural gas or propane.       The year after replacing the 20-year old oil system with a triac-controlled, tankless water heater we consumed
22,762 kWh.      Site energy savings was 14,470 kWh (49.3 million Btu).      Site-air pollution was eliminated.      With today's global warming, a 20,000 kWh Solar PV system or windmill would reduce out site energy costs to zero, with no power plant pollution.
Happy HolidaysDr. Carmine F. Vasile, Ph.D. Electrophysicsgfxtechnology.com