[Greenbuilding] Low powered (wattage) water heaters available through Hydro Quebec

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 17:36:42 CST 2011

Interesting graph-thanks for that. One wonders if smaller resistive water
heaters (fewer gallons and/or lower wattage elements) wouldn't also achieve
this.

My main concern with the incrementalist approach (three element el.
resistance water heaters, hybrid cars, high performance NG furnaces, etc.)
is that what we really should be transitioning to are (renewably powered
DHW, cargo bicycles, wood furnaces, etc.). Once someone is persuaded to
fork over X thousand dollars for some of this incrementally better/less bad
technology they will hope and expect to at least amortize it before or in
lieu of switching to the more radical version. This makes it harder and
slower to transition, and fools people into thinking that the problems
we're up against are really smaller/solved with incremental upgrades. We
also grind up a bunch more resources and materials for technologies that
are, simply, too incremental, that offer so little net improvement as to be
misleading.

just my 45 cents.