[Greenbuilding] Max Temp Storage Water Heaters+TemperatureSensors

natural building naturalbuilding at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 2 12:56:50 CST 2011

Personally, I would recommend the Hubbell heaters ( http://www.buytankless.com
  ) but they may be more than you need in your situation. I have been
using the biggest (28 kW whole-house) unit for a couple of years now.
It is extremely well designed and, for the most part, operates very
well. It can easily handle 120F or more and can be set to whatever
outlet temp you want (within reason).

The reason I suggest that it might be more than you need is because it
has the most accurate and sensitive flow meter of all the different
manufacturers ( 0.25 pgm where most others are either .5 or higher).
This may not be of any use in a bathroom application. It also is one
of the few units that can accept modulated input water temperature, so
you can use it in a re-circ system and it will adjust its output to
suit the input. If your input temp is always the same, then this might
be redundant.

It also has some other very intelligent design features that, IMO,
make it stand out from the crowd. Things like 16" mounting hole
spacing (you'd be amazed at how few of the others have thought of
this) and 'Sharkbite' connectors for the inlet and output pipes, which
make it very easy to install and maintain.

The downside with tankless systems is that they cannot 'buffer' the
water temperature, so if the demand changes, the temperature changes,
albeit briefly as the system adjusts. But, for a single bathroom this
may not be a problem.

Regards.
Steve Satow

www.naturalbuildingsite.net