[Greenbuilding] superior insulation from a wall made entirely of doweled wood panels?

jfstraube jfstraube at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 07:27:07 CST 2011

The metric value for R (or RSI), is 5.67 times that of US value.
So, 1/0.2=RSI5 = 5*5.67= R28.
Given the mulitple air gaps and big chunks of wood, I would not be sure it is actually that high, but it is quite realistically R20.
Not a great use of wood fiber (eg 5 times as much as needed for most structures), but if you have lots of free wood you are trying to find a use for ....

On 2011-02-06, at 12:41 AM, Rob Dickinson wrote:

> Isn't that just 1/0.20 or R5?  Not particularly very well insulated, by wall standards.
>
> Rob
>

> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone speak to this?
> http://www.thoma.at/html/english/holz100/gesund/waermedaemmung.html
>
> Seems interesting but also a bit hard to believe. A 14" wall that achieves a U-value of 0.20. What is that in our R-units?

John Straube
www.BuildingScience.com