[Greenbuilding] Max Temp Storage WaterHeaters+TemperatureSensors

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Thu Feb 10 01:25:15 CST 2011

OK, I have ignored most of this thread because I cannot understand why it is
happening.........

I acknowledge that I live in a country with not very much "green power" and
no nuclear at all, but the physics of heating water are universal, and I
don't think the metering policies vary that much.

This is actually a green building forum but the philosophy seems to be
extraordinarily shallow. The first question that needs to be begged is: what
does your power billing structure look like? Do you have "time of use"
billing?

If no, then ripping out whatever you have to put in an electric tankless
need careful consideration, and is likely to turn out to be a bad idea.

If yes, then an electric tankless system is an absurd proposition as a
replacement for whatever, and an option of last resort usually only
considered if you currently have nothing, or are rubbing two sticks
together.

Tankless electric ruled the roost in the 1950s, but you will be amazed how
much technology has gone under the bridge since then, particularly in the
insulation department. You can rabbit on all you like about standby losses
etc., what little there might be, but it doesn't add up to well if it costs
you five times as much to take a shower when you want it, rather than when
the supply authority prefers you to have it.

Further, for electric tankless, "economy" and "substantial water flow" are
contradictions in terms.

Yes, I do recall hearing that there are some places that have so much
electricity they don't bother with off-peak metering. Perhaps it was British
Columbia, and everybody lives there.

Long story short, heat the water you want when it is most sensible to do so.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW