[Greenbuilding] Martha Stewart and star wars

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 11 10:04:03 CST 2011

I didn't catch Martha or space travel, sounds like everyone has been having
fun this week.

I don't find the greenbuilding/star travel combination that farfetched. We
are the children of our culture and for Americans the starwars generation
rules. The was the reinvigoration of mythic archetypes for a few generations
and greenbuilding with its concern for meaning and transformation (as well
as post apocalyptic obsession) fits just as well as space travel.

Old bricks have for at least 20 years been worth a 1/3 more than new bricks
given peoples interest in having facades feel timeless (another
anthropological oddity) - but not idiotic.

As for living walls... when I lived in ny I rented an old boarded up
storefront at the base of a tenement between A&B. The door to the back had
been boarded up for decades. When I bust it open I found an avenue of wild
uninhabited lush greenery that stretched for the whole street behind the
tenements. Of course I immediately gentrified it by cutting it down and
making a nice little patio and garden. Not sure the point of that but
something to do with greenspaces in ny and gentrification of ghettos (a form
of space travel at the time).

There is also a rule in permaculture - that if you can care (as in keep
alive over time)a potted plant on your doorstep you can then move off the
doorstep and enlarge your area of governance. Seems to me this both applies
to living walls and space travel.

What is the thing with Martha - thought she was in jail?

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN
4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7
PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541
terrain at shaw.ca