[Greenbuilding] Gaviotas

Gennaro Brooks-Church info at ecobrooklyn.com
Sat Feb 12 08:13:23 CST 2011

This talk of space travel and green building makes me think of a book
I just finished by Alan Weisman called Gaviotas. It is about a
community in the barren and war torn area of Columbia called Los
Llanos. Started in the sixties and alive today this community turned
parched soil that only held a couple kinds of rough grasses into a
lush jungle forest. They used alternative planting techniques and huge
amounts of creativity. Their community generates its own power, its
own water and pretty much everything else it needs. It is a real story
of turning barren nothingness into a bountiful green utopia.

But here is the kicker. The similarity to space conquest is huge.

They go to a barren uninhabited wasteland and colonize it.

They see this triumph of human spirit as success. And compared to the
slums and wars of the rest of Columbia it is a huge success.

But if you step back a bit and play devils advocate what is the
difference between what they did and what settlers did to North
America? The "barren grassland" they apparently turned into something
useful is purely a human centered view. I'm sure the grassland felt
plenty useful without us.

On the other hand the story of Gaviotas shows that the inherent nature
of humans is to expand and as long as there is space we will expand
into it. I don't think humans will ever say, "I'm fine where I am, I
don't need to know what is around that corner." Humans are hell bent
on getting into space just like Martha Stewart is hell bent on
becoming the leader of whatever there is to lead.

Now that there is so little more space to expand into on earth it is
natural we will expand into space. There was a time when Africa was as
foreign to Europeans as Mars is to us now. It certainly wasn't
"natural" for whites to live in Africa. And yet humans have lived in
geological extremes for our whole existence.

Saying space is not a natural place for humans is like an Eskimo
saying they aren't naturally built to live in the deserts Nairobi.
They would survive just fine after some adjustment.

Gennaro Brooks-Church

Cell: 1 347 244 3016 USA
www.EcoBrooklyn.com
22 2nd St; Brooklyn, NY 11231