[Greenbuilding] quick tools for calculating rainwater run-off?

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Wed Feb 16 06:36:36 CST 2011

With a buried fiberglass septic tank, one with two man-hole clean-outs
on it, we gather about 1/3 of our roof area, (approx.700sq.ft. of
collection area).
This tank was buried on the south side, next to the house footings.  It
was then covered with 2" styro., and 4" of A-gravel. On top of that was
built a 6' x 14' lean-to green house, for three-season use.

The over-flow pipe from the septic tank runs a few feet away,
discharging into a 1200 gallon goldfish/frog pond, dug four to five feet
deep, and lined with EPDM rubber sheet.  The edge was planted years ago
with iris, cattails, etc. and surrounded by our extensive vegetable
garden.  We use this fish-enriched water for the plants in the garden,
dipping it out with watering cans.

Occasionally, (twice in 12 years), our well has gone dry mid winter.
I've used a small RV pressure pump, (Shurflo WhisperKing), and run the
entire household from this buried tank, (except for drinking). By being
frugal, we managed with that amount of storaged water, to last through
the remaining winter, until spring thaw re-filled the well.  This
implies that less than 1200 gallons of water is needed to function for
three months, being careful of use.  Here's a few photos and short

http://www.livingsol.com/index.php/home-energy-systems/rain-water-harvest-greywater-systems

Hope this data is helpful.

Cheers,
Frank