[Greenbuilding] quick tools for calculating rainwater run-off?

Nick Pyner npyner at tig.com.au
Wed Feb 16 18:31:52 CST 2011

Indeed, and for most of the world it is already critical. And future wars
are as likely to be over water as oil.

But, while we are already doing something about it - we have water
restrictions and all new single-residence construction in this state is
required to have rainwater harvesting - that is not the same as going off
the mains. The latter is a more expensive undertaking, and people do it
becuase it is a good thing to do, essentially an intellectual exercise. I
would never encourage a client to take that path, and I have never made
provision for it. The current job I am on may eventually go off the mains.
The tank is probably big enough and may never be filled the way things are
planned, so the first step is to bring more roof area to it.

The recent floods here have been pretty bad, the worst on record in some
parts, but not that unusual and all part of the cycle. They say all droughts
eventually break, usually with a flood, and the longer the drought the
bigger the flood will be.  This is the "sunburnt country, of droughts and
flooding rains" it is even in our literature and it is just part of living
down here in God's Own - crocodiles and all.

Nick Pyner

Dee Why   NSW