[Greenbuilding] Can a house in cold Edmonton produce as much power as it consumes?

Gordon Howell -- Howell Mayhew Engineering ghowell at hme.ca
Fri Feb 18 18:01:11 CST 2011

=====================

Saving Green Building Green

Can a house in cold Edmonton produce as much power as it consumes?
Environmentalists are trying

Published February 17, 2011
by Maurice Tougas
SEE Magazine
News & Views
http://www.seemagazine.com/article/news/news-main/netzero/

It’s a cold February morning, with the
temperature barely nudging -25C. Inside a Mill
Creek home shared by Conrad Nobert, his wife
Rechel Amores and their two young children, it’s
cool but comfortable. Very comfortable, in fact,
if you take into consideration their home doesn’t have a furnace.

The Nobert-Amores home looks like any other from
the front, but if you go around the back — where
you’ll find a garden and the three different
fruit trees in the summer months —  you’ll see
more than 30 solar-electric modules, some on the
roof, others on movable awnings. It’s all part of
the Nobert-Amores family’s efforts to make as
small an imprint on the planet as humanely
possible, and as a hedge against the future.

It’s what is called a net zero home, one of only
two in the city, with more in the construction and planning state.
A net zero building is one that produces all of
its own energy for heating, lighting ,
appliances, and hot water on site over the course
of a year. To do this, the house might draw on
the power grid during the cold winter months, but
sell back to the grid during the summer or warmer
winter days. The net result, if all goes well, is zero.

Whether the Nobert-Amores home — or the first
Edmonton net zero home in Riverdale — has
achieved actual net zero is not entirely clear.
Nobert has been scrupulously gauging his energy
production and use this year, and so far it looks
promising. Nobert expects they might be able to
achieve net zero from the period of October 2010 to October 2011.

Saving your pocket book
----------------------------
But even if it doesn’t achieve the net zero
effect, you have to be envious of his power bill,
which is about $25 a month, all of which is
service charges. And, thanks to the absence of a
furnace, there is no natural gas being used,
resulting in a remarkable level of savings. To
gauge how much, just look at your gas bill for a
month like January, and imagine that entire bill,
with its laundry list of incomprehensible riders and usage fees, all gone.

Raised by parents who taught him the value of
conservation, Nobert is a dedicated
environmentalist (he doesn’t even own a car). He
and Rechel did everything you can do with their
previous house, just a few doors down from their
current house, like replacing windows and improving insulation.

Still, that wasn’t enough.

“I realized that it was still consuming a huge
amount of energy,” says Nobert. “We don’t really
have a good idea, because it just comes in from a
pipe in the basement. But the amount of energy used was massive.”

Worried about climate change, and the potential
for energy scarcity — one day, he warns, there
will be no natural gas left — he and his wife
decided to go big and go home, and the easiest
way to do that was to start from scratch. Net
zero, or even coming close to it, isn’t just a
matter of improving insulation and using
energy-efficient appliances. The net zero effort
begins, literally, from the ground up.

In 2008, he “deconstructed” a house that stood on
the site of his current net zero home, saving the
fir and maple flooring, the brickwork and the
interior doors for use in the new house.

Now with just a hole in the ground, they planned
a house that would “push the envelope” of energy
conservation, aiming for a net zero house.

Expert Help
----------------------------
This is not the kind of project that one
undertakes without expert help. And this is where Peter Amerongen comes in.

Amerongen has been designing energy efficient
houses since the early 1980s. His company,
Habitat Studio & Workshop, has designed, built or
renovated about 400 housing projects across
Western Canada, and is responsible for designing
Edmonton’s two attempts at net zero homes, first
in Riverbend and now in Mill Creek.

He acknowledges that the net zero homes in
Edmonton have yet to reach that elusive goal of
being a fully net zero, but then, nobody has
tried to build a net zero house this far north.

“We were overly complex with the first one, but
we’ve been able to simplify quite a bit as we’ve
gone through it. In all of them, aggressive
conservation has been the starting point.”

So what’s the difference between a new home, no
matter how energy efficient, and the net zero
home? There are three key design decisions made
for the net zero home, which could apply to any
new home being built, if the owner wants it.

First, the walls are 16 inches thick, filled with
blown-in cellulose fibre insulation that is made
with recycled newspapers. A critically important
insulation decision involved pouring the concrete
slab over a five-inch layer of insulating foam.

“It’s like a big, foot-and-a-half inch sweater around the house,” says Nobert.

Second, the house is sealed tight as a drum.

“It’s like living in a plastic bag,” Nobert says.
(Naturally, a house sealed that tight needs
improved air circulation, which comes courtesy of
a heat recovery ventilator, or HRV. Both the
exhaust and outdoor air streams pass through HRV,
and the heat from the exhaust air is used to
pre-heat the outdoor air stream. An HRV is able
to recover 70 to 80 per cent of the heat from the
exhaust air and transfer it to the incoming air.)

Third, the windows are the best you can buy. They
have three panes of glass and are coated for
maximum energy efficiency. As Nobert explains,
these windows are as energy efficient as a wall
in some houses. Indeed, they are quite warm to the touch.

These three design decisions cost them less than
$25,000, and got them 80 per cent of the way towards their net zero goal.

The next big step, and the most complex and costly, is solar power.

The house has 32 solar modules — 20 on movable
awnings, and 12 on the roof — that generate
electricity when the sun is out. When they are
snow covered, solar modules are useless (just
like at night). But any amount of sun melts the
snow, and the solar array is at such an extreme
angle that most the snow falls off.

The solar arrays are in the back of the
Nobert-Amores house, with an unobstructed south
view allowing for maximum sunlight. You can do
the same in a regular house, but that much
sunlight coming in will heat up a house to
sauna-like temperatures during the day. The
solution to that, Nobert says, is the use
of  thermal mass  —  in this case, 2 1/2” of
concrete floors, using 10 tonnes of concrete. In
October, when the sun is low and streaming into
the house, the concrete acts as a heat battery,
absorbing the heat during the day and releasing
it at night. The house has a wood burning stove,
the heat from which would be absorbed by the concrete floor.

A solar hot water heater, which is not “super
effective” in the winter, supplies the house on a
summer day with almost 100 per cent solar heated water.

Of course, even the best built house needs some
artificial heat during an brutal Edmonton winter.
And while they have no furnace, the house does
have electric baseboard heaters in all the rooms,
each with its own control so there is no heating
up an empty room. (During my visit, he turned off
the baseboard heating because the day’s sun will heat the house.)

Even energy efficient windows, super insulation
and the solar systems aren’t enough, house designer Amerongen points out.

“The only way that it is remotely possible is to
drastically reduce the amount of energy you’re
using. There just isn’t enough space on the
average urban lot for enough collectors to even
begin to get all of the energy used by a typical house.”

There is no escaping the use of electricity, but
there are ways to reduce its usage. For example,
the Nobert-Amores don’t have an electric dryer;
they’ve been hang-drying their laundry for a decade.

While most of us wait till we get our monthly
power bill and gasp in horror at how much we owe,
Nobert uses a web program that measures how much
electricity is house is using — or redistributing to the grid — in real time.
“Yesterday at work I was watching this, and
thinking, cool, it’s -30 out, and we’re feeding to the grid.”

The house is “smart enough” that it knows when to
convert electrons from the sun for use in the
house, so only surplus power is redistributed to
the grid. All of this, of course, adds to the
cost of the house. Producing your own energy on
site is quite expensive — the solar system cost
about $50,000 — so they only pay off about two per cent.
“But compared to an SUV, the payoff is amazing,” he’s quick to add.

Aside from the long-term cost savings, Nobert is
comforted by the fact he has “energy security.
“In 40 years, these (solar systems) are going to
be a financial asset still. They will be
generating most of what they generate now. I
don’t think you can get that safe of an investment anywhere.”

The Edmonton Market
----------------------------
So why aren’t there more net zero or near net zero houses?

“The conventional building industry doesn’t have
the time, and consumers aren’t demanding it
because they don’t know to. A lot of houses look
nice, but they don’t know they’re buying an energy pig.”

Amerongen wishes consumers were more
knowledgeable about their choices when
building  new home.  For anyone thinking of
building a house today, the key is a higher level
of insulation and air tightness throughout the
building, and that includes the best windows you can afford.

“I think there is really a need for more consumer
education. On a cost basis, going to net zero is
not something you can justify on today’s energy
prices. But building a cost on today’s energy costs is short sighted.”

His clients are not just looking at cost savings,
but are willing to spend the money because it’s
the right thing to do. Super insulating a home
under construction can add about $15,000 to the
cost, but if you can achieve EnerGuide level of
86 (the max is 100), you’ll get a $10,000 grant
from the government. That makes the payback on energy costs very short.

(The federal government has produced an EnerGuide
listing for houses, similar to that seen on
appliances. New House build to building code
standards  should have an EnerGuide of 65-72; a
new house with some energy-efficiency
improvements should reach 73-79;  and
energy-efficient new house 80-90; and a house
requiring little or no purchased energy, like a net zero house,  rates 91-100.)

There is tremendous interest in net zero housing
in Edmonton, Amerongen says. His firm has another
net zero house under construction and two more under construction.

“I’ve also been involved very peripherally in an
apartment building that has the potential to
achieve net zero. Our company also has another 10
ultra energy efficient houses finished or under construction.”

He also knows of four other net zero houses under construction.

“From discussions with people from across the
country I’d say that there is more net zero and
near net zero activity in Edmonton than anywhere
in the country. We should be proud as heck.”

Amerongen says he’s building energy efficient
homes not just for the present, but for the future.

“I’m worried about looking my kid in the eye in
30 years when things are all going to hell. I
want to be able to tell him I did what I could.”

You can follow Nobert’s posting about his attempt
at a net zero lifestyle at www.greenedmonton.ca