[Greenbuilding] Outer Space: Huh ? No water ? Oh oh. (was Re: Gaviotas)

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Sat Feb 19 17:48:12 CST 2011

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 00:07:35 -0500, Tim Vireo Keating
<t.keating at rainforestrelief.org> wrote:

a Space Cadet wrote:

>> Now that there is so little more space to expand into on earth it is
>> natural we will expand into space.

>> Saying space is not a natural place for humans is like an Eskimo
>> saying they aren't naturally built to live in the deserts Nairobi.
>> They would survive just fine after some adjustment.

And I think that Space Cadet is missing the point.

The problem is not that we are running out of space on Planet Earth.

*One* of The Problems is that the resources of the Earth are finite and
some humans are consuming those resources at a rate that would require
several Planet Earths to sustain those lifestyles if everyone were as
piggy as they.

Another of The Problems is that some humans are fouling the
essential-to-life elements of Earth to the point those elements are
contributing to killing and/or exterminating life on this planet.

Chief among the essential-to-life elements is water.

Without water, life (not just of our species) on Earth would cease to
exist. And to the best of humans' knowledge, there aren't many places in
this solar system that are blessed with water. (I say "this solar system"
because matter traveling at speeds approaching that of light, hence making
human travel outside of this solar system possible is , ahem ... light
years away, so for purposes of this discussion, "impossible".)

    "Life is carbon-containing solids dancing to the tune of ordered
structures of water."
	- Dr.Grigoriy Andrievsky

In order for humans to live anywhere else in this solar system, the space
travelers would need to *steal* enough water from this planet to keep them
alive for all of the time that they are away from this planet.

I say "steal" because I mean "steal".

Water will be considered too precious a resource to waste let alone export
forever in vast quantities to other places in the solar system and beyond.
Heck, even exporting water across the Canada-US border is a contentious
issue today.

True, it would theoretically be possible to recapture every microgram of
water that is exhaled/transpired/excreted as waste from those space
travelers' bodies and then subject that reclaimed water to all manner of
"purification" processes before recycling through the space travelers
again.

But that's where theory and reality would part ways.

Water is not the "nothing" substance that many people seem to believe it
to be.
You can't keep abusing it and not expect any consequences for that abuse.

For those who have access to the digital TV channel "Oasis" I would highly
recommend trying to catch the program "The Mystery of Water"

  http://oasishd.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=181:art-the-mystery-of-water&catid=23:catt

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom