[Greenbuilding] Ceiling Fans at Night?

Frank Cetera alchemicalfranklen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 14:10:47 CST 2011

To my understanding, and the research I have done, ceiling fans are valuable
in circulating warm heated air in the home in winter, especially from the
ceiling to the lower living areas in rooms.  My questions pertains to night
time use of the fans.

Even if a programmable is used and the thermostat is reduced to 55 at night,
would it still be valuable to keep the ceiling fans running at night to move
the warm air from the ceiling to the living/thermostat layer, and thus
prevent the furnace from turning on during the night?  Or should turning the
thermostat down to 55 pervent it from coming on at all so the fans question
is mute?

Frank Raymond Cetera, President
The Alchemical Nursery
200 S. Geddes St, Syracuse NY 13204