[Greenbuilding] Ceiling Fans at Night?

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Wed Jan 5 15:40:23 CST 2011

On 1/5/2011 3:10 PM, Frank Cetera wrote:
> To my understanding, and the research I have done, ceiling fans are
> valuable in circulating warm heated air in the home in winter,
> especially from the ceiling to the lower living areas in rooms.  My
> questions pertains to night time use of the fans.
>
> Even if a programmable is used and the thermostat is reduced to 55 at
> night, would it still be valuable to keep the ceiling fans running at
> night to move the warm air from the ceiling to the living/thermostat
> layer, and thus prevent the furnace from turning on during the night?
> Or should turning the thermostat down to 55 pervent it from coming on at
> all so the fans question is mute?

I often want to just answer questions like this with "you need more
insulation".

I would say that ceiling fans are only useful when you are in the room.
  If your furnace comes on before you want it to, turn down the
thermostat (regardless of temperature).

Proper insulation levels would remove both the need for a fan, and the
need for a set-back thermostat.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--