[Greenbuilding] Ceiling Fans at Night?

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Thu Jan 6 11:39:21 CST 2011

On 1/6/2011 11:35 AM, Ron Cascio wrote:
> Ceiling fans work the same on the human body in both summer and winter;
> convective cooling. It is my belief that a ceiling fan is useful in
> winter only when there is a large degree of temperature stratification
> in high ceiling areas and the fan is able to push that hot air (which
> wants to stay up there) down to a lower level at a very low velocity,
> low enough as to not cause convective cooling to the occupants of that
> area.
>
> In short, I think it is a hard thing to accomplish.

Many ceiling fans come with a reversing switch.  And everybody seems to
get it wrong.  In the summer, the fan should blow DOWN to provide
evaporative cooling.  In the winter, the fan should blow UP to mix the
air and reduce stratification, but keep the evaporative cooling to a
minimum.

Assuming that they help at all. (see my previous note).

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap