[Greenbuilding] Ceiling Fans at Night?

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 6 11:49:15 CST 2011

Paddle type fans are not that efficient or comfortable in heating mode. I
feel a lot of air movement can be accomplished by properly sized and placed
room to room air grilles as well as integrating some type of low volume fan
assisted ducting or plenum at high ceiling points that can be used as a
return (winter) or HR exhaust (winter) or straight exhaust (summer).

Air flow from a heating source and where it washes walls and ceilings can be
fairly predictable so creating a plenum or collecting air is not that
difficult to create. Using interior wall cavities as ducting to a fan
assisted register can work well to pull heat.

One simple design I worked with for passive assist with no additional fan
power consumption was to create a dropped plenum in a cathedral peak and
utilized the ceiling gypsum which can work effectively to store heat (simply
feel the ceiling over your woodstove) and that can be transferred to water
coils as preheat for DHW. The slight cooling of the ceiling can then help
air movement by breaking the stratification.

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN
4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7
PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541
terrain at shaw.ca