[Greenbuilding] Ceiling Fans at Night?

Bob Waldrop bwaldrop at cox.net
Thu Jan 6 15:20:36 CST 2011

Yes, it included the cellulose, indeed, it was mostly the cellulose and the
drywall, as we scrounged most of the wood for the new interior frame.  Just
before this we tore down a garage building on our property, and salvaged a
bunch of 2 x 4 lumber and 1 x 8 and 1 x 10 planks.  The building was built
in 1929.

We did the cellulose ourselves.  We started with the "free blowing machine"
offered by Home Despot if we bought a bunch of cellulose.  It was useless on
the walls.  We wasted a half day wrestling with it (the lines kept
clogging), and then decided to rent a larger and more powerful machine.
That worked like a charm.  It was a 2 person operation, one guy outside
running and feeding the machine, the 2nd inside with the hose in the wall.
We also had a rube goldberg long string going from the inside to the outside
work, so the outside operator would know when to turn off the machine (when
one wall cavity was full, we would turn it off while moving to the next
one).

Drilling the holes wasn't much trouble, either for the plaster and lathe or
the drywall.

None of us had ever done this insulation work before (well, one was
experienced in carpentry and drywall work).  I read up on it on the internet
after googling "installing cellulose insulation".  iirc, the manufacturer's
site had the best and most info.  the hardest thing was trying to figure out
how much to buy.  Estimating the attic wasn't a problem, estimating the
walls sucked, and we got it wrong, so we had to go back and buy more.  The
2nd batch was $2/more/bale than the first batch.  not sure why that happened
but it did.

We blew the cellulose into the wall cavities dry.  I think the wet cellulose
process would have required removing the interior wall, and we did not want
to remove that much lathe and plaster.

Installing the cellulose was messy, gloves, goggles, and a respirator (not
none of those cheaper cloth face filters) are required.  When Sean would
climb down out of the attic, he looked like a grey gnome, with bits of
cellulose hanging in little strings from all over his body.  He did not
appreciate it the first time he came down and I kind of laughed at the site
and made some kind of a smart comment -- "looking kind of gnomish there Mr.
Kay".  So don't do that, instead, praise whoever is getting up into the
attic and bring them special treats lest you be drafted for said duty.  Me,
I ran the machine outside consistently.  It was a big hopper with rotating
spikes at the bottom.

Doing the walls was also messy in the house.  The drill was to fill the
walls until the machine started to choke, which meant no more could get into
the walls, then cut off the machine, remove the hose and its fitting from
that hole in the wall, move to the next one, repeat as necessary.  Everytime
the hose/fitting was removed from the wall (it has a metal fitting on the
end that fits the hole in the wall), a little puff of cellulose would spray
out and cover everything.  It's amazing the coverage of a small amount of
cellulose suspended in the air, after it drifts down.  Which is why even
doing the walls, the guy with the hose needs a respirator.  Me on the
outside machine, not so much.  But you need a stick to push the clumps of
cellulose onto the spikes.  I wouldn't use your hands, as those spikes could
really chew threw a hand and arm without much trouble.  I grew up on a farm,
and knew a lot of 9 fingered farmers who lost their ring finger to
machinery.

It took us about 5 days of work to do our insulation project, 6 hour days,
1548 sq ft house.

Bob Waldrop