[Greenbuilding] Distibution and radiant heat

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Sat Jan 8 09:16:03 CST 2011

On 1/7/2011 8:57 PM, Chris Koehn wrote:
> A timely discussion for me..
> I am currently planning and pricing an architect designed home to be built on one of the BC southern gulf islands that has no grid power. There will be wood burning heat- currently a cook stove and a fireplace are specified. The floor plan is rather longitudinal, with a bath&  mud room at one end of the home and somewhat isolated from the main space.
> I am wondering if it's advisable to consider picking up heat off of the ceiling and moving it beneath the floor (in insulated duct, through a crawl space) and dumping it in to the bathroom area? We'd presumably need some air handling equipment, but the energy used to move hot air must (?) be less than heating the space (with propane).

A FIREPLACE?  Seriously, a open fireplace?  And you are worried about
moving a little bit of stratified heat?  With an elaborate, PV powered,
high embodied energy device.

How much energy do you think there is in a say 8,000 cubic feet of air
at 73° (68° + 5°)?  145 BTUs per °F.  If you are heating a 65°F bathroom
with it, you get 1160 BTUs (assuming you lose none on the way).  And you
are going to try to accomplish this with PV power? Let's guess that this
requires a 130 CFM fan.  Running for one hour (that's all the heat there
is) 24 watts seems a common rating for such a fan.
or 0.36 Amp-hours from the battery.

The same amount of heat from burning propane is 0.0126 gallons.  1
gallon would amount to 79 days (how long is the heating season in BC?).
  How long would it take to just pay back the cost of the fan and duct
work?  Not to mention, batteries, PV panels, controllers, etc.  In terms
of either money or embodied energy.

And how much would it warm the bathroom?  It didn't take long for me to
add up 600 BTUs / °F of thermal mass is a bathroom what with heavy
toilet, tub, sink, water, tiles etc.  Which means that heat would raise
the temperature at MOST 2°F.

The same amount of heat vanishes up the chimney of the fireplace every 5
minutes (just in room air being sucked up the chimney) when the fire is
burning.

One despairs.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn