[Greenbuilding] Aggressively Passive: Building Homes to the Passive House Standard

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 10:54:58 CST 2011

Thanks for that tidy summary, John.

But I have one question. You write:

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 7:53 AM, John Straube <jfstraube at gmail.com> wrote:

>   A higher standard than the PH one is a NetZero energy house.  This takes
> things further and sets a numerical energy target of Zero, considerably less
> than the PH standard.

While I like both the Passivhaus approach--in so far as I understand it--and
all its antecedents, my understanding of the piece that the netzero house
adds to the mix is some onsite renewable supply, usually PV. To me this
approach suffers from its own hyperbole and, at least in my limited
understanding of how it works in practice, does a medium job of actually
reducing the loads since the PV system can in principle and is often in
practice ramped up to some pretty big systems. The implications for the
grid, for peak, for load shifting are another piece of this that doesn't
make much sense to me. Or am I missing something?

Small, simple, & well insulated tend to win out for me, but I'm not always
up on the newest definitions of these certification systems.

Reuben Deumling